Sunday 22 July 2012

Please feed my fish while i'm gone :)

Just found out if you click your mouse cursor over the koi fish above, you can feed them. Thanks for the tip dad, don't want them dying on me!

Don't know why but I haven't had the best week. And i've promised to be honest in this blog, so I will tell you the following things:
  • I know it's a stupid thing to think (seeing I am living in another country) but I can't stand it when kenyan people start talking english to me (everyone speaks english here) and then turn to everyone else at the table and start having a 20 minute conversation in fast swahili. It just makes me feel silly because I don't understand what they're saying  (I can understand words but not a whole conversation) and you feel a bit left out. I can't help but think they're saying things about me. I don't think they mean to do it, so I should just harden up a bit and learn more swahili words..
  • I know not all kenyans are like this, but a lot of people expect me to pay for things, just because i'm white. Buy this lunch, bus ticket, drinks, taxi. People see mzungu lady and just think I have a money tree growing in my aussie backyard! I try to explain to people i'm volunteering, that i'm currently unemployed and using my very minimal savings just to treat myself every now and then, but they just think i'm a rich woman. Take the other night for example. A friend that studies at the local college has been saying we should go out for dinner one night. We finally set a date and meet in town. She decides to bring along a few friends, which is all cool with me, and we set out to a funky swahili restaurant in the heart of the city. After drinks and big meals of biriyani piled on plates, they all say "Thank you Beth, that was really nice". And my heart sinks. They want me to pay for the bill. I don't want to be rude to them and say "Hold on a minute, you pay for YOUR meals!", I don't know what kind of customs they have here. So I pull out all my notes and don't have enough to pay for the whole meal (I didn't think I would be paying for 4 people!). The girls take out a few coins from their pockets and I realise they never intended on paying for anything all night. I felt really crappy and used and had to go get some more money out. I don't think I will be friends with people anymore who just expect me to pay for everything. I'm not a sugar-mummy!
  • Ok, so enough wingeing from me. In the wise words of another friend, for every bad person who exploits your good nature, there is a kind person willing to let you into their home and give everything they have to you. And that is so true.
  • I went to church this morning with my kenyan friend Tonny. Wow what a place! A giant church with big windows filled with coloured lead light, so when the sun shines through the windows it feels like you're inside a rainbow. They had a full african band with drums and shakers and guitars, and even though the whole service was in swahili, I really liked it. Everyone gets involved and claps, sways and waves their hands in the air. At the same time, I felt really guilty as I haven't been to church in a long time. I think it's a good place to clear your head. I'm going again next Sunday (i'll be on time next week;  my dear friend made us 30 mins late for today's service, but it still went on for 1 1/2 hrs!)
  • There's rumors of another bomb threat over the month of Ramadan, so security has been beefed up another notch. Got to admit I was a bit weary about going to church with 250-300 other people but they have two security check-points to get into the actual church and a great big paddock around it, so there's no way someones sneaking in. Going to lay off going out to pubs for now, just to be safe. I may go a bit wild on my last night though!
My time here is coming to an end soon, well 3 weeks, so I thought i'd mention a few things i'm going to miss about this place:
* The funky summer music that plays from giant speakers at the swimming pool (western and african songs)
* Muslim kids that kiss you on the cheek or hand
* Calls for prayer from the local mosque (reminds me of my sisters crazy made-up singing when we were kids)
* Watching the sun rise every morning on the bus trip to the pool
* My little 8yr old friend Joy who loves dancing and singing to pop songs and ads on the tv
* The smell of buttery corn cobs being grilled in street stalls (for some reason smells like peanut butter)
* Big-eyed babies wrapped in their mum's kangas
* The cruisy kenyan way of life (people never mind if you're 15-20 mins late!)
* The vanilla pastries from the local bakery, and most of all people-watching. Looking out the bus windows, there's always something being sold, being cooked, or being carried on the dirt streets. The way the ladies gracefully sweep the ground with long reeds bound together, with one arm resting on their lower back, sometimes with a baby attached to them. Men don't use lawn mowers here! They 'mow' by making long sweeping cuts into the grass with a hooked knife on the end of a long pole, and in the boiling heat.

Ok, enough for today. I will finish with a few photos i've taken. I've put a bunch of fresh ones on HERE, feel free to have a squiz!

Mum eat yer heart out! I know you love shell collecting but I think you would've had a heart attack seeing this beach..shells for miles I tell ya!
Traditional swahili family dinner with Peter, Tonny and his family (you can tell who is the lady of the house!)
The little monkeys at school, just about to get their togs on. They are hilarious!

Peace and love to all, and special love going out to Rob and his family (very sorry to hear about your mum..thinking about you over here)

Bethy xo

No comments:

Post a Comment