Sunday 1 July 2012

'Bout time for an update!

Hi guys

LOTS of things to catch you up on. First thing i'll let you know is Mombasa is a safe place to be once again. There was a grenade attack in a local bar near the bridge last Sunday, and it scared a few people. I was at a small local bar with a friend when it happened (we were about 2-3km's from the attack). I didn't realised what had happened until I got back at the house at 10.30pm and Njery was freaking out a bit (mainly because I caught a matatu and NIGHT when I was TIPSY, naughty Bethy.). I felt a bit stupid, I really shouldn't have been out drinking with the current situation, but just wanted to have a good time. Ok, learnt my lesson. I have decided from now on (until I leave) not to go to busy places after dark even if it is a small pub, it's just not worth the risk. As it has now been a week since the attack, things have settled down a lot, but the security around busy Mombasa remains top priority.

As my body clock has decided it would be great for Beth to wake a 5am every day now, even on the weekends, I decided to go for a jog the other morning and it was pretty fun. I was expecting the locals to look at me funny (Is she running from something? A lion? Trying to catch a matatu?) but as I plodded along, dodging puddles and big rocks, passing small goat farms, everything fell on the wayside and I began to enjoy myself. The next morning however, I was a sore siezed-up mess! Where is Emma Lagan the miracle masseuse when you need her??

Had to drag a child from the pool the other day. After a short lesson with her, she was confident enough to swim without her arm floaties. A bit too confident though, and got stuck in the middle of the pool while I was teaching some other children. She looked panicked and I quickly swam across the pool and heaved her out by her tog straps. Poor thing was shocked and spluttering. After she calmed down, I took her hand and led her in to the water again. It is so important to get a child back in the water as soon as they have a fright, or else fear sets in the brain and it will be the first thing they think of the next time they go to the pool. The little tike was a happy little swimmer again in no time.

I've noticed that i'm starting to get more time on my hands when not volunteering. I've visited all the touristy landmarks now and hanging out at the mall has lost its appeal.  I don't want to stop learning and exploring. My worst fear is that i'll end up hanging at the mall every day drinking lates and glancing around at the other white tourists, who to me look like they're higher and mightier than anyone outside of the tiny Cafesserie Cafe fences. No more days lounging around at the beach. I want to learn something new! I thought about getting kitesurfing lessons (its about $300 for a beginner course) but I keep remembering all the horror storied Chris Vale used to tell me about people being lifted up and thrown into concrete walls, and I change my mind. Maybe cooking classes, or write a novel? I'm leaning towards scuba diving. It's been something i've wanted to do for a while but have been too scared. The idea that you're trapped 10 metres underwater if your equipment malfunctions gives me the jeebies. But I shall face my fears..I SHALL SCUBA-DIVE! I'll let you know how that adventure goes..

I met some real friendly girls that are currently studying Food and Beverage at the school i'm volunteering at (just a recap, i'm working at the Mombasa Technical Institute, where several different schools come to use the 25 metre pool on campus, and i'm there to teach swimming to the school children and also any adults around the area who want to learn. Also teaching the swimming coaches how to coach better). Anyway, these girls invited me to the try some of their food at the mock-restaurant they have set up - 3 courses for 160ksh ($1.50 in AUS!). It was quite an experience, and I was stuffed by the end of it. One thing Kenyans know how to do real well is cooking and eating. Funny enough, i've felt really guilty about my diet here. I'm torn between trying to experience real Kenyan food and trying not to get a spare tyre! I've been swimming twice a day 5 times a week and also doing push-ups and jogging. I know I can always go back to eating healthy again when I get back to Australia, I just want to minimise the hard work.

Safari time!!
I went on a quick 2-day safari to Tsavo East and West on Friday. Was one of the most amazing experiences i've had here so far. It needs a blog in itself! Did 2 game drives each day, and stayed overnight at Sarova Salt Lick Game Lodge. Seriously if you ever come to Kenya you HAVE to put this place on your list. I've got more photos to come, but here are some of my favourites:









That's enough photos of wild animals for one day. Still have to develop the old vintage camera, which has photos of random Mombasa and safari snaps on it. Missing my friends and family more every day, 6 weeks to go before I get back to my normal life!


Important tip of the today: TUK-TUKS. When taking a tuk-tuk for transport, whether it be in asia or africa, it really helps to be floppy. Don't fight the bumps and pot-holes, it just gives you a headache and a bad back!



Over and out,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment