Monday 30 July 2012

Coming to an end.. LAST WEEK!

HI guys

Well it's finally come.. my last week of volunteering, then off travelling the land until 13th, then off to Bangkok then back home to Australia. I would say it has gone fast, but surprisingly it hasn't. Everything's been at a cruisy kenyan pace, and gotten in to a bit of a routine here, working in the mornings/early arvos and exploring Mombasa the rest of the day. Honestly (I can't believe i'm saying this) but i'm looking forward to going back to a paying job, lots of veges and salads, and most of all my friends and family. I will miss the people i've formed bonds with here, and i'm sure i'll see them again one day. It's funny how many people ask me when i'm coming back, like what month.. or early next year? I have to tell them it cost thousands of dollars to come here, and as much as i'm a whitie, I just don't have that kind of money lying around. I know it is a compliment though, they want me to come back :)

Things I did on the weekend:

  • Met up with a lady who runs an orphanage near Nyali Beach. Basically, Ashleigh came over to do a volunteering placement in an ophanage. She met these kids who were suposed to be looked after in a home but were been treated horribly (little food, dirty drinking water and were basically being prostituted out to men by their carer). She got a kenyan lawyer and tried to get the kids moved. The only way they could move them is if Ashleigh organised a new place for them to live in, so she did just that. She looks after other kids too and babies, and a child with cerebal palsy, about 25 kids in total. To say Ashleigh is amazing is an understatement. She does pretty much everything herself, and has a house lady to help cook and clean. She does all the fundraising herself too, as she gets little help from the government. Anyway moving on, I met her and we took all the kids down to the beach for a couple of hours. Even just getting the kids there is crazy! Walking for about 40 minutes carring crying babies (and the cerebal palsy child) and yelling at kids to stay off the road, we finally got there. Most of the kids ran straight in the water  but I stayed with the others to build sandcastles.  Then a man with a camel came past and Ashleigh arranged for all the kids to have a ride. They LOVED it! Got lots of photos and videos from the day. Just in that time is enough for you to fall in love with those kids. Each one has gone through heartache and trauma but they still manage to laugh and smile. It got dark quickly so I arranged for all the kids to get a taxi-ride back to the house. I will try to ee them again before I go, give them togs and goggles and teach them a bit of swimming.
  • Went to awesome gospel church again Sunday morning (7 in the morning, after a late night out, the church is that awesome) then got my hair braided african-style! Took about 5 hours, see pic below.. It's kinda cool but feels weird like you have rope on your head. Once I got all finish I had a bad thought..how the heck am I gonna swim every day with this?? The chlorine is going to destroy it. So I've decided to peeve off the fashion gods and wear a awful looking shower cap. Yes, the frilly kind is all I could find. But I intend on keeping my hair when I get back to Oz, so I shall sacrifice looking cool for one week. 


PLAN THIS WEEK: Do as much swim teaching as I possibly can for as many people as I can reach. Get last minute gifts from the disabled peoples workshops in Bombololu (they make cool stuff) and keep taking photos of the locals. Sometimes I just wonder around the villages and take photos of people deep-frying fish on the streets or men who sell blocks of sugarcane that you chew on (it's really good for you, not like crystalised sugar). I always ask them before I take the photo, to show respect. I have come across some kenyans who refuse to let me photograph them unless I give them money. Firstly I was offended (friggin everyone want my money!) but then I realise that they are just trying to get through the day and provide for their families.

OK have to go, man is kicking me out of cyber cafe (it's nearly dinner time).

Keep safe all, and remember to wash your hands first! (National handwashing campaign this week)

Ciao,
Bethy

No comments:

Post a Comment